Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Scientific Stella

I think science and childhood go hand and hand. Children are naturally curious, always questioning, and often open to new discoveries. All great qualities to have as a scientist. Some of you may know this, but Stella loves science. It's been her favorite subject in school since 1st grade. She likes to ask questions, test things out, figure out why something didn't work and test again. And I'm not just saying this because she's my daughter, but she's actually pretty good at science as well. Her career ambition right now at age 10 is to be a vet, so I suppose it's a good thing she loves science as much as she does. Her first science experiment this year involved creating a circuit and getting a small light bulb to light up. Her tools were a light bulb, D sized battery,aluminum foil and tape. After a couple of phone calls back and forth with Jason to clarify a few finer points (me not Stella) we were able to start. Stella did a great job on her own figuring out how to get that little bulb lit. I gave her some basic instructions and let her figure out the rest herself. Here are some pictures from her experiment.


Set To Go


Hard At Work


This configuration didn't work, but it looked pretty
Success
A Completed Circuit!!!

3 comments:

  1. Lauren enjoyed this project at school last year, too! They had to create their own circuit project at home and she and Dan made a magnet tool to pick up little things that are dropped in hard-to-reach places. Fun! There's a toy called Snap Circuits (they also make a Jr. version that Aidan got for his birthday) that has a ton of circuit projects to put together-- check it out! Stella and Jay may like it. On a side note, Lauren still wants to be a vet, too, so maybe they can be lab partners in college together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Jenn..Wouldn't that be wild? Though I'm ptetty sure you're going to steer Lauren to TX for college and I'm already pushing for Virginia Tech (the only college in the state of VA with a vet school!) : ) I think Jay has mentioned the Snap Circuits before. I'll have to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Stella. She was so excited to show me how this worked. I am looking forward to many more science experiments.

    ReplyDelete