Saturday, February 6, 2010

Just One Of Those Days

Most of you know last January I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and almost one year ago had my thyroid removed---to remove the cancer and to prevent recurrence. I was told, by doctors, family, friends, (and the most annoying) friends of family and friends, that this was the Cadillac of cancers to have...the easiest to "cure," the least likely to RE-occur...If you HAVE to have cancer-this is the BEST cancer to get! And to top off getting the "Cadillac of cancers" I had the BEST form of the BEST kind of cancer, Papillary Thyroid cancer!!! I hit the cancer lottery ya'll...The most treatable form of the most treatable kind of cancer there is!!!!! Seriously, could it get ANY better than THIS?????...

I still had freaking cancer.....

And even though I was most likely to come out of this experience ok; I had to deal with the psychological repercussions of having the "big C." I was a part of a new club that I never wanted to join; and even though my cancer is GONE....the memory of having it is not...

For the most part in the past year, I have refrained from self pity. And honestly, I have had very few moments where I've let my diagnosis, treatment, and recovery get me down. I've held up amazingly well and more often than not, looked at the proverbial glass as being half full (which as many of you know; is oddly not in my cynical nature..hahaha)....So for now, permit me a moment to be human: A human with faults, fears, dislikes, confusion, and yes: a day when I feel sorry for myself.

A day when I feel sick and worry if I'm feeling sick because my MEDS are wrong.

A day that I freak out and cry because I need to take FIVE PILLS every day to keep me ALIVE.

A day when the guilt of having these negative feelings weighs on me to the point of BREAKING.

A day when I can't even think about the SUFFERING of others cause it's all I can do to get through my own........

ever had one of those?

And so I write....not to have someone feel sorry for me, or to worry about me, or to call me because they haven't in a while, or to hug me because they think that's what I need....

I write because it makes ME feel better.

I write because sometimes I'll type something quite witty and I'll picture one of my friends laughing.

I write because it's what I do when I am happy, or sad, or confused, or questioning...

I get nervous when I can't write because it usually means I am nothing: feeling nothing, doing nothing, being nothing....and that doesn't sit well with me....because even though I've had a crappy day; I at least had A day.....right? and for today, that's the best I've got to give. I might have more tomorrow.....

8 comments:

  1. Not only do you have yourself to take care of; first and foremost you've put your family and always have. Donna, I read your Facebook posts and marvel at your humor and resiliency. You draw strength from your faith but I completely understand your mind's scary moments. We love you Donna. Bob and Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to add....you have said what needed to be said....what probably echos a lot of what others feel from time to time. You are amazing and special and never ever forget that. I love you so much and proud to call you my "daughter".

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration. You are so strong and by all means it is okay to :have a day." XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((hugs)) Cancer is cancer and I can't imagine the impact it has, especially on a wife and mother of three.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS You do type things that are quite witty and I'm sure you know I'm laughing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could not have said it better. Sometimes having to actively keep myself alive sucks. This month it has been even hard to do. But I do it. And you do it. And we will do it again tomorrow. And I have yet to see the rainbow. All I've got is rain. But the rainbow has got to be around the corner. I trust that God is sending it soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna - What a true inspiration you are to your family, your kids... talk about leading by example. My Mom 6 years ago had stage 4 colon-rectal cancer and 4 operations later she is still with us. The cancer has certainly changed her life both physically and menatally, but we love her just the way she is. She doesn't talk about it much.. never did... I think it is so healthy for you to share how you are feeling. She did join a support group which I know helped too. Thank you for sharing... Jen O.

    ReplyDelete