Monday, September 14, 2009

Ashlyn


Sometimes I wish I could just crawl inside one of my blog posts where everyone is happy, and life is full of new surprises, happy occurrences, and beautiful discoveries....


We just got word from Ashlyn's eye doctor that her right eye is once again turning in and causing her vision to decrease. For those of you who don't know, Ashlyn has had two surgeries to correct this. Her alignment and vision seemed to improve tremendously following the last surgery in November and we were hopeful all this was behind us. I was scared when I thought I saw her crossing her right eye again this summer. And when she started rubbing her eyes and complaining that she was having a hard time seeing things..Well, I knew we were back in sadly familiar territory. I took her to her doctor yesterday and he confirmed what I feared...


We have the same plan of attack as before when she was first diagnosed with this problem. Ashlyn will wear a patch for six hours of the day along with a new prescription for bifocal glasses...We will go back to her doctor in eight weeks to determine if that therapy is working. She may need another surgery...I'm trying to remain hopeful, but it's hard because I feel like we are starting back @ square one...So please keep us in your thoughts and prayers...


Today was especially hard for me when we went to pick out Ashlyn's new glasses....Last year when Ashlyn got glasses for the first time she seemed excited. I think she liked having something that her brother and sister didn't have. The glasses set her apart. But this year things are a little different. Ashlyn is insecure about wearing her patch. She's worried about how people will perceive her and she's very self conscious about her glasses. She asked me earlier this afternoon why all of this was happening to her and I didn't have a good answer. The truth is, I have no idea. I'm so sorry and sad for her. I try to put things into perspective. There are families with children who have life threatening illnesses...In the grand scheme of things Ashlyn's vision problems hardly seems significant, but when your four year old asks you in so many words, "Mommy, what's wrong with me?" and you have no answer--well, it sucks. And I'm writing this now to help me get through the sadness that I feel for my little girl and to let you all know that life for me (just like you) isn't always a happy,smiley blog entry...I don't know what the lesson to be learned here is. I told Ashlyn that God only gives challenges to people He thinks can handle them and that God must think she's a really brave girl...I'm hoping that's true for both Ashlyn and me. Peace, ya'll....

5 comments:

  1. I think you gave a great answer, and you are all in my prayers and my thoughts.....There is nothing harder than watching one of your kids struggle.
    Ashlyn will come through this and will have an understanding and empathy for others who might be "different" as she gets older....it will only make her more beautiful on the inside, and she is already beautiful on the outside.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. It is hard to understand why things like this happen to our precious children so the only thing we can do is trust God for His peace and for His healing touch. Our faith sometimes can be shaken but not destroyed! I love you all. Our little Ashlyn is just beautiful.

    Grams

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said to your daughter was very comforting to her. I actually believe things can happen for no reason. That way the little one doesn't have to feel like God has singled them out. I would say our bodies do so much in order to keep everything together but sometimes there is a weak link. I hope this doesn't sound heartless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna Jean you are the best Mom in the world, wish you would've been mine. The words you choose to say were perfect..Just as k God to give you strength and say the right things and do the right things like big kisses and hugs. She's a lot stronger than you think, how could she lose with all the love around her! I'll be saying a prayer agin tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ashlyn,
    I love love love your new super cool glasses. I have always wanted to have beautiful glasses just like yours, but they don't look nearly as cool on me as they do on you. I want you to wear them at your next piano lesson so that I can see them in person. Thank you so much for wearing such a cool patch the other day to piano. It made me feel very special to know that you wore the pretty pink one with music notes on it just for me. Ashlyn, it was the best part of my day.

    Love, Ms. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete