Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Poem


This is inspired by a reconnection with on old friend from college....not really inspired by her, but by her poetry...enjoy...


Ashlyn's Bath


"Look Mommy, a water angel."

As she spreads her arms

and legs out as wide

as the tub will allow.


I drain the water

ready

for a quiet moment

at the end of a long day.


"Can I stay until the water

is gone? There's still LOTS of water."


"Yes," I tell her as I sit down

on the folded toilet seat

towel in hand.

This will be another few minutes.


"I will curl up to stay warm," she squeals

as she rolls into a

wet ball

arms and legs

drippy-clenched..


water slowly draining...


She hugs the tub floor

seeking warmth.

The water slips out slowly.


The tiny limbed ball

all bunched up in a corner of the tub

unfurls...

creeping toes,

feeling fingers,

reaching for the last bits of water

as it slurps out of the tub.


"I'm all soakened," she says,

Standing and reaching for her hooded duck towel

and a hug.

2 comments: